Thursday, February 19, 2009

Zone 4 X 4 = 200 miles

Training has went well in the past couple of weeks! Last week I concentrated on a lot of climbing to up the intensity in preparation for the quickly approaching season. In a 7 day stretch I went 230 miles and over 12,000 feet of climbing! Not bad for the middle of February. After the week was completed, the legs felt OK, but were REALLY heavy. I decided to give them a little tread and take a second day of rest to give them a Little more time for recovery.

After a two day rest period I thought that I would change it up a little bit this week but keep up some intensity in a different fashion. I decided that I needed to concentrate on some quality miles at the same time since the first two races will be of a decent distance. The plan for the week? Do 50 miles every time I get on the bike, and ride so that at the end of the day the average heart rate would be in zone 4 ( 80-90% ). This has made for an awesome training week for February. In a 4 day period I have went 200 miles at an average of zone 4.2, and am feeling pretty good. I would like to get in another day or two this week before changing things up a little for a couple of weeks leading up to the Bone Bender.

The next couple of weeks I would like to attempt to get in four hour rides each time I throw my leg over the bike, then back it off for the week leading into the race on March 14. Wow time if flying.

On another note, I have really been enjoying the Tour of California on TV this week. On Sunday Shelley has agreed to allow me to have my riding buddies over to watch the final stage, and have the first pasta feed of the new season. A good time should be had by all. That pretty much does it for now, check back next week for the latest news!

Peace, Out!

2 comments:

LeLan Dains said...

And there was much rejoicing after large quantities of pasta and bread had been consumed! Not to mention some good bicycle viewing!

Theresa said...

WOW... time is flying by... but you have kept a steady pace on your training... I am sure it is all going to pay off in a couple weeks!! The season is just going to take off for you!! Thats Great... Can't wait to hear all about it... and don't forget the pictures!! Love ya, Theresa