Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Back in the saddle again!

Well, I did not get an update last week due to several factors. First, it was really busy at work, due to the beginning of the new semester, and second, I had the flu and was wishing that I was dead for most of the week. I got sick on Monday, and missed 2 days of work because I could not even get out of bead.

As for training, it was all systems shut down. I did absolutely NOTHING for seven days. After the week off though, I have made adjustments to my schedule. Since it is only 8 weeks until the first race I am OFFICIALLY in the pre-season. This means that I will be on the bike six days a week now, and I am getting the mountain bike out again to start getting use to the way it rides again.

So far this week it has went pretty well. Sunday a bunch of us went out to camp Alexander and I did the first trail ride since about early October. It went better than I expected. The fitness was fine, and my technical skills were better that I expected. The main problem was the lack of power in the legs! The climbing was average and the pace was pretty slow, but it was a lot of fun.

I can really tell that I have not trained for power for 3-4 months. This will change now though. I plan on going out to camp 2-3 days a week for the next 8-10 weeks and work on some trail riding. The other days will consist of some LONG rides. I would like to get the cross bike out for 3-4 hours at a time on the days that I am not out at camp.

Since it is still winter, and Shelley is also in training for her marathon, I am also continuing to go in to the gym at 5:00am, and either lift weights or run until 6:30am. This double work out is kind of tough right now, but seems to be working well. So far I have been on the bike for four days in a row. The legs are a little tired tonight, but the ride at camp today went exceptionally well! Well stay tuned to catch the newest info. about the middle for next week. Until then.

Peace out!

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Yuck!!! I'm sorry to hear about your bout with the flu!! So you will be in Colorado in July?? what a great time of year to be there... Sounds like you are right on track... you are doing GREAT... you inspire me! Kepp it up... love ya.. Theresa